for the Public
Record - Master Index
Tour of Ms. Catherine's
||Information for the Public
Location. The hewn-timber cabins, ca. 1836, are
located six miles east of Florence on Francis Marion
University campus, 200 yards from Highway 76/301, on
Wallace Woods Road. (Regional Map)
Significance. These are two of eight cabins that were built by African Americans to house African-American slaves who were brought to this area to raise cotton. The quality of the woodcraft, especially the full-dovetailed corners, shows that the builders were skilled craftsmen who took pride in their work. The cabins are on the National Register of Historic Places.
Hours open. The exterior of the two hewn-timber cabins can be seen at all hours. From March thru November the cabins are open for visitors on the second Tuesday of the month from 10:30 AM to 2:30 PM (weather permitting). To confirm this schedule or to make an appointment to see the cabins, contact Karl McAlister, (843) 661-1311.Signs outside cabins. For people who visit the cabins when they are closed, there is a sign outside each house with pictures showing what is inside. The signs also have a wealth of information--from small details like how Ms. Catherine made lye soap--to the big picture, like where in Africa their ancestors may have originated. Visitors are encouraged to send their comments and evaluation of the signs to Karl McAlister, email@example.com , or the Florence Visitorís Center, www.florencesccvb.com . The signs are funded in part by the Humanities Council SC, a state program of the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Copyright Amelia Wallace Vernon. All rights reserved, 1998. Revised, 2013.