A Visit to Ms. Catherine's House
on the Cabin
|Quick Tour of
|Plat showing houses
In 1836, a number of African Americans were brought to the land that is now Francis Marion University. They were brought here to raise cotton, but they also had to construct all of the buildings. The eight houses that they built for their own housing were lined up on either side of a little road. If that road were here today, it would run from behind Stokes Hall, past the library, and through Smith University Center. Plat 1870.
Copyright Amelia Wallace Vernon. All rights reserved, 1999.