BIOLOGY DEPARTMENT FACILITIES AND RESOURCES
The Department of Biology at FMU offers excellent teaching, research, and computing facilities for undergraduate students. Located on the second floor of the McNair Science Building and the Leatherman Science Facility, the department has several large lecture halls, all of which have the most up-to-date multimedia equipment: a computer-augmented instructional system with overhead projection, VCR/DVD player, and microcamera/document camera. All rooms have wireless and wired internet connectivity.
Within the department, there are ten teaching laboratories, five research labs, two animal maintenance rooms, a large seminar room, an honors classroom, prep rooms, and faculty offices. A student computer lab is available for use in research, coursework, and instruction.
A rooftop greenhouse with many species of plants and ample space for student projects is a showpiece of the Leatherman Science Facility.
Outdoor areas on and near campus provide teaching facilities for introductory biology, upper level botany, entomology, ornithology, invertebrate and vertebrate zoology, ecology, and conservation biology courses. The 309-acre campus (including a 3-acre arboretum) provides local yet diverse study sites for biology students. In addition, university vehicles are available for field trips to the ocean, marshes, lakes, forests, and mountains of South Carolina.
At FMU, sophisticated techniques and equipment are employed to open up the dynamic world of research.
Equipment available for teaching and research includes the following:
Cell and molecular biology, microbiology, immunology:
· fluorescence microscope
· microplate reader
· inverted tissue culture microscope
· dark field and phase contrast microscopes
· anaerobic microbiology equipment
· digital photomicrography equipment
· photomicrography image analysis software
· UV spectrophotometer
· conventional and cryostat microtomes
· refrigerated centrifugation/cytobucket preparation
· clinical and high-speed (ultra-)centrifuges
· IEP-agar and SDS-PAGE electrophoresis systems
· submarine protein/DNA electrophoresis systems
· Gamma counter
· Beta counter/liquid scintillation system
· Thermal cycler for polymerase chain reaction
· DNA sequencing gel rig
· pH meters and microelectrodes
· fermentation and distillation equipment for fuel ethanol production
Organismal biology and ecology:
· environmental chambers
· passive integrated transponder (PIT-tagging) system for field studies of reptiles and amphibians
· GIS analysis software
· radiotelemetry equipment
· oxygen and carbon dioxide gas analyzers for metabolic studies
· EKG, heart rate and ventilation monitors
· YSI oxygen meter/thermistor for field use
· current meters for aquatic/stream studies
· water quality probes (dissolved oxygen, nitrates, pH, temperature, turbidity) and associated computer analysis software
· live traps for turtles, snakes, and mammals
· bat detector (ultrasound converter)